Sunday, August 4, 2013

Pioneer fun

Living in Utah means there are a lot of pioneer museums and memorials.....I mean A Lot.   Being a huge fan of history means this is a-o-k with me.  One of my sisters (really sister-in-law but from now on they will all be referred to as sisters because really, that's what they all are) but anyway, one of my sisters found out that a local pioneer park does pioneer activities there once a week though the month of July in celebration of Pioneer Day (like I said, lots of focus on pioneers).  It's been a tradition for the last few years to get together and go experience a bit of pioneer life for a day.  This year Eric was finally old enough to start getting it.  The first year we went I just held him and grabbed with my sisters.  The second year he ran around chasing his cousins but didn't really understand anything and wasn't big enough to play the games.   This time Eric got to see the fort, wash clothes by hand, see how they made butter and make a "water stick" (more commonly called a candle".  Did you know many pioneers only had one shirt.  That would make for a cold winter wash day.  Just another reason I am glad I live in modern times.
Listening to how they washed laundry

Soaping up the washboard


 
 
Luke along for the ride. 


Enjoying some hand -churned butter on breadq 



1 comment:

Julie L said...

Oh, that looks like a great opportunity for all the cousins to participate in! Eric is growing so fast. Really great photos!